Seven ways to use Aloe Vera

Our latest addition to the family

Aloe vera… Pretty much the best thing since dehydrated bread!

It has of course been around for longer than that, but I’m speaking about my own personal use and experience with both.
Aloe vera comes from a cactus family and grows like a weed in New Zealand, so I never really thought much of it growing up. But when my love for raw food sprouted and my interest for holistic healing boomed- I would find myself stumbling across the benefits of Aloe vera in readings everywhere.
So now as I visit my parents in their [semi new] Land of Longevity residence, I’d pretty much be bathing in the cactus goo or adding it to smoothies everyday. On my first visit there, I bought an entire plant for US$1, thinking I’d just use it all up over two weeks. But within days, as it sat outside, its roots started to reach and beg for the ground. Now the plant has its prominent spot in my parents’ garden and has even self-propagated numerous times.
In London, I would often buy a leaf at the Asian or Caribbean markets and would ‘milk’ its use for as long as I can, like there’s been some sort of deficit, until it occurred to me that if I go to a near-by Plant Nursery- they may just sell Aloe vera as an ornamental plant. Success!
Now I have my very own brand new addition to the Health Family and here are…

SEVEN WAYS TO USE ALOE VERA
1)  Like a moisturiser. Whether you are acne-prone, suffer from dryness, more serious skin conditions like psoriasis or seborrhoea dermatitis or just after an effective oil-free moisturizer, give Aloe a go. It is a natural humectant, so it increases water retention in the skin, and helps calm irritation and inflammation by feeding your skin vital nutrients, antioxidants and enzymes.
2) As a laxative. Though I can’t speak from personal experience on using Aloe vera for this matter, I hear rave reviews on the wonders of juicing the entire part of the leaf to relieve constipation. Because it contains barbaloin, a solid fibrous compound, it is very effective at causing your bowel muscles to contract. It is never recommended to become reliant on laxatives, since you can develop lazy bowel syndrome, but rather for a period of 5-10 days as treatment. Here’s how>>
3) For healthy hair. Aloe vera can be found in some of the best shampoos and conditioners, which aren’t silicone-based. So why not apply it directly to your hair to control frizz (think eye brows too!)? The slightly acidic pH of Aloe gel will even help to seal the hair cuticle. If you ever experience an itchy or dry scalp, do apply the gel directly to your head too!
4) On burns and wounds. Aloe vera has a lovely soothing and cooling effect, so it is often the main ingredient in creams for treating cooking burns and minor skin infections. It is well known for its anti-microbial and anti fungal properties to keep wounds clean. Apparently it doesn’t work on sunburns however, but I like to think otherwise- it’s always worked its magic to cool and calm my skin and is my personal number one choice for sunburn relief.
5) As a shaving gel. Traditional shaving creams contain a plethora of synthetic additives, carcinogens, contaminants and other stuff, which I am no expert in, but do know for a fact, that something which may seem innocent enough has high chances of entering your blood stream via the pores of your skin. Aloe vera is anti inflammatory, so its kind to skin, has a slippery gel texture, so it’s ideal for a close shave and contains 99% water, so it will even leave your legs, face or under arms hydrated.
6) For a face mask. I love making up my own face masks and feeding my skin with everything yummy, nourishing and natural. I like to combine Aloe gel with a little cinnamon (a little!), high UMF raw honey and oats for a nice refreshing and taught mask. The oats are slightly course too, so when you wash the mask off, it acts like a natural scrub at the same time.
7) For digestion and immunity. Aloe contains acemanna, a powerful stimulant to the immune system. Experts from the Moores Cancer Centre at the University of California found that Aloe vera helps the immune system by attacking abnormal cells during cancer treatments. This also helps assist digestion and absorption of nutrients, vitamins, minerals and amino acids in your diet. I try to add at least 2cm of aloe inner gel to my desserts and smoothies 4 times / week.

If you are not so keen on fussing around with fresh Aloe Vera leaves and want the ready gel in a bottle, Patrick Holford, author of The Optimum Nutrition Bible, recommends that “what you should look for is the amount of MPS (mucopolysaccharide precipitating solids) per litre. You want more than 10,000 MPS for a high-quality product.”

My favourite Aloe vera products are by Forever Living. I’ve been using their amazing non-fluoride tooth gel with aloe vera and bee propolis for quite some time and recently started taking the Aloe Vera Gel Drink daily. If you’ve been reading my blog for a while, you’ll know how fussy I am when it comes to products, so rest assured that I’ve done my background checks and can’t recommend these products enough. Feel free to text your address to 07760577459 and I’ll send you a brochure or go straight to the online store and order yours at www.aloe-store.myflpbiz.com .

WHAT DO YOU USE ALOE VERA FOR?

Comments

1. Rob Jones says

Great article, I love the holistic approach. However, aloe isn’t a cactus, but rather a succulent. All cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are cacti. Aloe is a non-cactus succulent. They are both succulent angiosperms, but that’s all they have in common.

2. says

I have never drink aloe vera yet. My mom used the oil of aloe vera for healthy hairs. As i want healthy lifestyle then i will sure try to drink this and also suggest my family to do the same. Thanks for the useful tips. So much like your post.

3. says

Are the aloe plants you buy in the stores (walmart) safe for consumption? I read only one kind of plant was safe for consumption and I have read they all are. Also, how much do you eat or put in a smoothie to achieve it’s benefits?

4. says

This modern volumizing shampoo is designed to remove residue and product styling build-up, without stripping hair or fading color to provide an optimum environment for thicker hair. Fights free radicals that damage and weaken hair. The results are thicker, healthier, more beautiful hair.

5. says

Acne is a skin condition that can affect teenagers or adults, but it is usually a preventable condition. If anybody takes follow your mentioned helpful tips hopefully they will get a better result. I appreciate you because you focused on natural source like aloe Vera instead of antibiotics or other cosmetics are made of chemicals, which has adverse effects on skin.

6. says

I am very much pleased with your explanation about aloe vera and its benefits. But i am confused that you have said that aloe vera is a cactus family. But must of people have stated that aloe vera is a lily family. Could you please confirm its origination.

7. Natasja says

If I was to drink aloe vera gel on a daily basis, it will help me achieve a balanced immune system, assists in healthy digestion, produces healthy, glowing skin that looks younger and plumper, helps maintain healthy joints, and overall helps the body to balance itself.
    I will have a lot more energy, will inhance nail growth,make it stronger and my hair will shine and look much more healthier.

This all because it contains over 75 different vitamins, minerals and amino acids, including the rare vitamin B12- one of the only two vegetable sources available.

WHAT A WONDER PRODUCT!!

8. Natasja says

Hi all!

WHAT A WONDER PRODUCT!!

9. Anonymous says

Ok all good advice in here…
    Just one thing noone is saying…when talking about consuming aloe vera, no details are offered re the bottled versions.
    Can one consume it from the gel bottle?
    Yes or no???

Cheers
    thetravelguy@live.com

10. Anonymous says

I have sensitive skin so when I shave my legs (its summer, the hairs have to go!) they used to go all red and sore. Now I’ve started smeared raw aloe vera gel on afterwards and my legs are so soft and there’s no redness. I’ve been doing it under my arms too where I used to suffer from dematitus (to the point of not being able to shave, use deodorant), that’s gone too!

11. Anonymous says

I have Aloe Vera in my Garden in my house in the chiriqui highlands of Panama on the slopes of Volcan Baru.

I use it for shampoo and make a drink with it…but i had a bad absess and some gum problems which antibiotics did not help..i started rubbing the aloe gel regulary on my gums and swilling around my mouth…Result after a week healthy gums..i regularly gargle and drink aloe Vera and have had no gum problems for over a year..

Great thing is it grows great in the black volcanic soil here great

12. says

I am mainly interested in Aloe Vera for the claims made that it can regulate blood sugar. Is this true? If it is, which is the best way to take it to get this benefit. I visited your site for this information but none of your seven ways covers this aspect.
    Thank you. Excellent website!

13. says

I will be adding it to freshly made super juices next week when I start radiotherapy for grade 3 metastatic melanoma that has spread to my lymph nodes under my arm. Thanks for your article, I am sure the aloe will help with my burns and help my immunity to attack them darn cancer cells :)

14. says

Thank you so much for this. I have five plants taking over my house and I just cut a stem off, rubbed it on my face, waited a few minutes and got the closest shave in years. What gem of an idea…

Thanks

Brent in Prince Edward Island (Canada)

15. Dudley P says

If I was to drink aloe vera gel on a daily basis, it would help me to achieve a smoother face! I really struggle with shaving my face due to inflammation and soreness, so this would hopefully bring me some relief and stop my partner from moaning about my stubble!

16. Lauren Elizabeth says

If I was to drink aloe vera gel on a daily basis, it would really help me with my eczema-prone skin and help me to feel in control again. Plus it will be incredibly soothing and help to restore my skin’s glow!

17. Vivien P says

If I was to drink aloe vera gel on a daily basis, it will help me with my digestive problems and stabilise my blood sugar levels. It’s one of the most amazing medicinal herbs that nature has ever created!

18. Tracie Somerset says

If I was to drink aloe vera gel on a daily basis, it will help me with my gastritis as it I know it can help provide healing to my stomach.

19. says

“If I was to drink aloe vera gel on a daily basis, it will help me to have a regular bowel movement……ohhhhhh the relief!!! I think this would have a knock on effect with healthy glowing skin! Aglow Vera! Yey! :)

20. says

“If I were to drink aloe vera gel on a daily basis, it would help me improve my sluggish digestion, allowing me to get the most nutrients out of my food and therefore boost my immune system :)! Wonder plant!

21. ella says

“If I was to drink aloe vera gel on a daily basis, it will help me achieve the adaptability and resilience I need to get through the dreary winter months, and absorb some of the beautiful desert and sun energy that aloe holds… “

22. says

If I was to drink aloe vera gel on a daily basis, it will help me achieve another step on my journey to better health. A path I believe that is made of many little steps, all involving nurturing ourselves, with foods, life-style, and sheer joy at the wonders nature provides us to help us along that journey.

23. Alix says

If I were to drink aloe on a daily basis it would make me talk like a parrot “Aloe Vera”, which would in turn make me laugh a lot, and laughing is so healthy!

24. jay butler says

If I were to drink aloe on a daily basis it would help me to acieve less wrinkles! Very important when you want the world to know how good for you eating raw food is!

25. Khizar Hassan says

If I was to drink aloe vera gel on daily basis, it will help me to supplement some very important nutrients from this versatile and healing plant, also it would hopefully help with my digestion and overall wellbeing.

26. Jendria says

“If I was to drink aloe vera gel on a daily basis, it will help me with/achieve…
    I would have better digestion and hopefully better skin! I have a great diet, but my skin does not have that raw-foodist “glow” yet…I am hoping this will help! It is a top beauty food, after all.
    Thank you!!!

27. Candy C says

If I was to drink aloe vera juice on a daily basis it would make me so happy because I know it would boost my immunity and help my digestion and absorbtion of nutrients thus helping to heal my gut,and also giving me nice strong hair and nails and radiant skin and an all round sense of wellbeing! Wow can’t wait!

28. says

If I was to drink aloe vera gel on a daily basis, I would look forward to improved digestion, better skin, hair and nails, increased immunity – all which have improved already since I found Tanya’s site. With such a wealth of information and guidance, if things improved further who knows where life will take me…..!

29. says

“If I was to drink aloe vera gel on a daily basis, it will help me to achieve digestive balance. Problems with my digestive system are continually getting me down and I would love to be able to regulate my body”

30. frances taylor says

“If I was to drink aloe vera gel on a daily basis, it will help me with my itchy skin that i always get at this time of year.. “

31. says

If I was to drink aloe vera gel on a daily basis, it will help me to punch my way through the next three months and the last leg of my year long raw food challenge!! Woo hoo!

32. Muhammad Jahanzaib says

If I was to drink aloe vera gel on daily basis, it will help me with my digestion and hopefully looking more fresh and having more energy which I am lacking now due to working at nights.

33. Olivia Preston says

If I was to drink aloe vera gel on a daily basis, it will help me have a stronger immune system and healthier digestion, absorbing more nutrients from my food and hence having more energy to live life to the full

34. says

“If I was to drink aloe vera gel on a daily basis, it will help me with my digestion and regularity plus it will keep me healthy through the winter months keeping illness at bay. I also like the taste of it too!

35. says

If I was to drink aloe vera gel on a daily basis, it will help me with/achieve promoting a healthier lifestyle for myself and my family. I have begun to have issues with my knees and am looking for a natural way to begin inner healing. I also want my 2 small children to learn as much as they can about natural and healthy living, and I think this product would be a great addition to healthier families!

36. says

37. says

If I was to drink aloe vera gel on a daily basis, it will help me with/achieve regulating my gi tract!
    I never drank aloe, but when I was young my mom would put aloe in our hair all the time, I think I should go back to doing that too :-)
    Ana

38. Isabel Andraca says

If I was to drink aloe vera gel on a daily basis, it will help me achieve a better digestion, amongst a million other things! :)

39. says

If I was to drink aloe vera gel on a daily basis, it would help me achieve a healthier digestive system which I have a bit of trouble with. I wouldn’t mind the added benefits of more energy, faster growing and stronger nails, and shiny, healthy hair either!

40. says

Hey Karen, I bought the living aloe plant at a Plant Nursery in Kensington, but also seen it at World’s End Nurseries in Chelsea. I’m sure that if you ask for Aloe at your nearest garden centre, they’ll be helpful. Good luck :)

• Derek says

I was wondering if I were to see any old aloe plant growing (because I see it all over the place) are there any different health risks that using leaves from those would cause?

41. Karen says

hi tanya!

was meant to ask you about aloe when i saw you a couple of weekends ago. forever is an amazing company for aloe and the only one i have found to be pure enough to do as nature intended!!

where do you find your aloe leaves to buy and fillet??

aloe vera doesn’t have laxative affects as long as you don’t eat the green leaf rind. it has even been recommended for use for people with crohns disease!

there are so many amazing benefits of aloe, i have been using it for many years and i have learnt so much about this beautiful leaf. i use it in everyday life! it is in fact a member of the onion garlic and lily family and not the cactus family.

keep sharing your wonderful tips, i love them!! even made the raw cheesecake last weekend, didn’t have mangos so substituted for strawberries and it was beautiful!!

Karen xx

42. Anonymous says

I use aloe in home made tooth paste, soaps and hair conditioner. Thanks for writing an informative piece. ;

• Anonymous says

Wow, that sounds awesome. Do you have a blog where you write how to make those? I want to learn :)
      Please share.